Hello. We’re Virgin Australia. We’re the airline that’s always done things a little different. Our way. The Virgin way. We’re on a mission to make flying better than ‘nice’. And to do that, it takes a team of talented people who are passionate about customer experience, doing the right thing always, with a focus on safety – in the air, on the ground and in our workplaces. A team who values real diversity and inclusion, in a big brand with big ambitions.
What you’ll be doing
The objective of this exciting, newly created Finance Leader role is to support the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Head of Finance – Flight Operations (FP&A) to drive the planning, efficiency, productivity, and cost management in Flight operations departments. This includes taking finance responsibility for fuel management and oversight of direct & indirect labour to support Virgin Australia EBA negotiations. The successful candidate would act as a '2IC' to the Head of Finance – Flight Operations, engage with Department GMs and the Chief Operating Officer, perform detailed analysis, generate insights and recommendations, regularly engage and present to senior management and executives and drive the identification of risks and opportunities to improve performance. This position sits within our high-performing Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) division.
Further responsibilities include:
- As the 2IC to the Head of Finance - Flight Operations, you will develop ad-hoc analysis and modelling to deliver insight on operational performance and financial implications. You will have the capability to synthesise complex analysis and insights into high-quality, Executive and Board-level presentations
- Ability to hold Operations partners accountable to performance metrics and budgets, while providing support to identify and mitigate risk
- Ownership of planning and reporting process for relevant departments
- Periodic reporting of actual results and insight into the drivers of results
- Monthly reforecasting of costs, taking into account changes to operating stats and emerging risks & opportunities
- Facilitate annual budgeting process, with deep engagement with the Operations teams to ensure department ownership of the plan
- Act as a de facto Operations team member, take the lead on finance matters within the Operations departments
- Co-develop business cases for investments and initiatives, developing a detailed understanding of financial implications of proposed changes / projects / initiatives
- Take the lead on costing Virgin Australia’s Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) proposals, collaborating with Industrial Relations and Ops Departments as part of the EBA team
- Develop detailed understanding of airline economics and financial drivers for Ops functions (predominantly Fuel, and Virgin Australia labour groups for EBA negotiations)
- Bring together airline financials and operational statistics to deliver analysis on key drivers of financial performance for the airline
- Regular and ongoing engagement with Department GM's to drive improvement and transformation
You’ll be great in this role if you…
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance or Science-related field
- Extensive experience in Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) and/or an analytics-based role, or equivalent experience in Management Consulting/ Big 4/ MBB
- Experience in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Demonstrated experience partnering with senior stakeholders and presenting to General Managers etc.
- Advanced financial modelling capability (Advanced Excel) and pragmatic approach to producing cost estimates under tight timelines
- Strong presentation skills (PowerPoint development and ability to present to stakeholders)
- Project management experience
- Ability to grasp complex concepts and models quickly, and distil analysis and insight to simple, easy to understand output
- Prior exposure to EA/ EBA renewals/ negotiations is desirable, but not essential
- Familiarity working in a ASX 200/ public company and an understanding of the economic drivers in aviation/ transport
We’re committed to looking after you, with some of the best benefits and conditions in the industry – including (but not limited to):
- Discounted flights for you and your loved ones (including $1000 worth of travel credits per year)
- A flexible, hybrid work style. Work from home or the office, adapt your location to suit your style and needs
- One of Brisbane’s most admired head office locations, with South Bank train station, a supermarket, pharmacy, and lunch options downstairs plus a 5-minute walk to the Busway, a rooftop restaurant and onsite gym (with a low membership fee) and South Bank Parklands just across the road
- Discounts on travel insurance, lounge membership, car hire, accommodation, and experiences worldwide
- Cheaper hospitality, retail, technology, beauty and wellness services
- Free counselling and access to a wellbeing app to support your physical, mental, social and financial health
- ‘Dress for Your Day’ – enjoy the freedom to wear whatever makes you feel great for the type of work you do and the day you have ahead of you.
When everyone is included, everyone wins
We’re all individuals. And we love that. That’s why we encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those from diverse cultural backgrounds, our friends in the LGBTQI+ community, and anyone else who wants to join our family.
Ready to apply?
We’re ready to hear from you. Apply now.