Hello. We’re Virgin Australia. We’re the airline that’s always done things a little different. Our way. The Virgin way. We’re on a mission to make flying better than ‘nice’. And to do that, it takes a team of talented people who are passionate about customer experience, doing the right thing always, with a focus on safety – in the air, on the ground and in our workplaces. A team who values real diversity and inclusion, in a big brand with big ambitions.
What you’ll be doing
The Data Engineer role will be responsible for ingesting data into our modern data platform, assembling large, complex datasets and providing frameworks and services for operating on that data, enabling the business to deliver on reporting, dashboarding, marketing and advanced analytics initiatives.
- Develop robust data pipelines and ETL processes in Databricks and DBT, making critical business data available to other teams
- Manage and optimise data pipelines for performance, scalability, reliability and cost efficiency.
- Ingest data into our modern data platform, assemble large, complex datasets, and provide frameworks and services for operating on that data
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, such as automating manual processes and optimizing data delivery
- Review, test and recommend new technologies periodically to ensure we remain aware of the forefront of technology
- Data migration to support data transformation programs of work
- Develop and maintain high quality data artifacts and technical documentation
- Ensure data quality and implement data governance practices
- Seek opportunities for improvements and champion changes to technology, including automation
- Assist team members with code reviews, change request peer review and knowledge sharing
- Collaborate with stakeholders to understand their data requirements and provide effective solutions with both agile and waterfall ways of working
- Ensure streamlined end-to-end processes that minimise hand-offs within IT
You’ll be great in this role if you have…
Your proven experience working on cloud based modern data platforms will be highly regarded in this role. This background teamed with superior communication skills will ensure you build and manage effective stakeholder relationships, enabling the successful delivery of data initiatives. The role requires effective relationship management across numerous internal and external stakeholders and service providers, ensuring alignment across various business drivers and objectives. Our technology team works with a wide range of tools, languages, and frameworks. We don't expect you to be an expert across all of them but experience or exposure with some (or similar) will see you thrive in the team.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative/technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering) or equivalent prior relevant experience
- Experience in design, development and optimisation of data pipelines and ETL processes
- Experience supporting solutions to be productionised, including deployment, automation, orchestration, monitoring and logging
- Understanding of data warehousing principles including data structures, database design, modelling, metadata, dependency and workload management
- Experience working with cloud-based, modern data platforms and Open Source Big Data tools
- Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
- Experience working in a DevOps environment and creating CI/CD pipelines
- Exposure to AWS, Azure, Snowflake, Databricks, Python, Spark, Informatica, Airflow, DBT, GitLab, Terraform, Kafka or Realtime Streaming Technologies
- Demonstrable proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java or Python
- Advanced SQL skills
- Knowledge of software coding practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team or independently
What you’ll get from us
We’re committed to looking after you, with some of the best benefits and conditions in the industry – including (but not limited to):
- Discounted flights for you and your loved ones (including $1000 worth of travel credits per year)
- A flexible, hybrid work style. Work from home or the office, adapt your location to suit your style and needs
- One of Brisbane’s most admired head office locations, with South Bank train station, a supermarket, pharmacy, and lunch options downstairs plus a 5-minute walk to the Busway, a rooftop restaurant and onsite gym (with a low membership fee) and South Bank Parklands just across the road
- Discounts on travel insurance, lounge membership, car hire, accommodation, and experiences worldwide
- Cheaper hospitality, retail, technology, beauty and wellness services
- Free counselling and access to a wellbeing app to support your physical, mental, social and financial health
- ‘Dress for Your Day’ – enjoy the freedom to wear whatever makes you feel great for the type of work you do and the day you have ahead of you.
When everyone is included, everyone wins
We’re all individuals. And we love that. That’s why we encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those from diverse cultural backgrounds, our friends in the LGBTQI+ community, and anyone else who wants to join our family.
Ready to apply?
We’re ready to hear from you. Apply now.