About Virgin Australia Group
Virgin Australia Group is a major Australian airline headquartered in Brisbane, Australia. The company operates scheduled domestic and short-haul international flights, charter and cargo services, and the award-winning loyalty program Velocity Frequent Flyer. The Group has been a competitor in the Australian aviation landscape for more than 20 years.
The company is now embarking on an exciting new chapter in the next stage of our journey. In September 2020, US private equity firm Bain Capital acquired Virgin Australia in a $3.5 billion deal. The airline has now re-launched as a mid-market carrier with a renewed focus on small and medium sized businesses, price-sensitive corporates and premium leisure travellers. and holiday makers.
Since November, Virgin Australia has been working on a plan to set itself up for future success. The Group has worked to ramp up flying, simplified its organisational structure, confirmed plans for 25 new 737 aircraft to renew and grow the fleet, and signalled deeper investment in technology and customer experience.
The Group recently appointed several new faces to its Executive Leadership Team, all with a proven track record and deep experience in aviation or consumer-focussed businesses.
Virgin Australia Group prides itself on recruiting the right people to meet the challenges ahead. No matter their role – our employees share an enormous amount of passion for our guests and ambition to be the most loved airline in Australia.
About the role:
The Chief Commercial Officer is a significant strategy and leadership role, and is responsible for Revenue Management, Sales and Marketing.
Develop and implement the commercial strategy, ensuring alignment to strategic direction of the Company
Be strategically agile, to anticipate and prepare for future opportunities and threats
Create and communicate a clear and compelling view for the future of Virgin Australia Airlines
Consider possibilities, options and emerging trends, and bring fresh thinking and seek approaches to addressing key business and operational issues
Manage budget & forecast models to ensure targets are achieved (or remedial action taken where not)
Responsibility for ensure all revenue streams are maximised
Provide functional knowledge and expertise as required to the CEO and executive leadership team on matters related to commercial airline operations.
Develop strong external stakeholder engagements (trade and business associations, industry affiliations and agencies)
Establish and lead effective teams to develop capabilities
Operate with Excellence
Define ambitious goals and establish priorities with clear responsibility to ensure results; manage projects, activities and resources effectively in order to deliver outcomes
Commitment to safety, continuous improvement and operational excellence
Proven ability to translate a strategic plan into a clear course of action, and a promotor of ownership and accountability to ensure that tasks are successfully delivered
Openly monitor performance against clear objectives and performance targets
What you need to be successful:
- Master qualifications in Sciences/Business/Economics/Finance
- Extensive Commercial leadership experience in a service, airline, travel and tourism, FMCG, brand led organisation with a strong customer ethos
- Strong commercial acumen and demonstrated complex multi channel revenue leadership
- A strong ability to think strategically complemented by an ability to execute and provide detailed follow-up on the strategy
- Ability to think strategically and implement initiatives in a way that delivers business outcomes
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- A mature professional possessing judgement, a disciplined approach, strong professional standards and, above all, a high level of personal credibility and integrity
- Commercial acumen and a proven ability to understand and apply business decision tools (such as business case development, cost benefit analysis and risk analysis) when considering the implications of proposed operational strategies
- Excellent knowledge of airline and industry knowledge
- Significant level of knowledge and understanding of the commercial drivers for airline profitability
- High level of knowledge of leadership, risk management and implementation of change