Head of Strategy
Hello. We’re Virgin Australia. And we’re back (in a big way).
We’re the airline that’s always done things a little different. Our way. The Virgin way. For us, flying is so much more than simply taking off and landing (although we understand that is quite important). It’s about going the extra mile, in the air and on the ground, to create authentic experiences that put our guests firmly at the heart of everything we do.
The Head of Strategy is responsible for defining, developing and driving Virgin Australia’s strategic initiatives. The Head of Strategy will play a key role in creating and delivering the Airline’s strategic direction, working closely with divisions throughout the business. The Head of Strategy will provide a holistic view of the business data and information available ensuring that it is interpreted and shared with the right audiences at the right time, to support effective decision making across the group, in particular ensuring course correction for any initiative or strategies in progress.
In addition to working closely with the Chief Strategy & Transformation Officer of Virgin Australia, the Head of Strategy will need to manage the following key internal and external relationships including but not limited to: the executive management team, group leadership team, regulatory and industry bodies, and any other key stakeholders as required.
The key responsibilities for this role are to define develop and drive Virgin Australia’s strategic corporate plan and long-term vision for optimum business performance, whilst providing strong visible leadership to develop and enhance the leadership culture of the Strategy and Planning functions, through role modelling of values and leadership behaviours.
Further duties include:
- Provide strategic and analytical insight to the business on all aspects of strategic initiatives.
- Identify and execute on strategic commercial opportunities.
- Drive operational and corporate efficiency initiatives in conjunction with the executive leadership team.
- Develop and drive strategic relationships at the highest level with internal and external stakeholders, including functional heads, regulatory and industry bodies and other key stakeholders.
- Provide coaching, mentoring, development and training opportunities for all team members
Who we’re looking for:
You will have experience in the airline/aviation sector with excellent knowledge of the industry. You will be confident in leading key areas such as revenue planning, network planning, fleet planning and distribution. With the ability to understand and analyse the current trends in the market to stay abreast of the competitive landscape, synthesis complex issues and the ability to think strategically and implement initiatives in a way that deliver upon business outcomes. You are an analytical thinker, with a customer-first mentality who has proven success at driving positive customer experiences. You are a charismatic leader, who is capable of influencing and inspiring people in a shared vision. Moreover, you are an agent of change and can drive this effectively and efficiently.
Skills and capabilities:
- Experience in the aviation/airline sector
- Exceptional commercial nous and financial acumen.
- Exceptional stakeholder management skills and the ability to influence key internal and external stakeholder relationships
- The ability to solve complex problems.
- Define ambitious goals and establish priorities with clear responsibilities to ensure results; manages projects, activities and resources effectively to deliver outcomes.
- Excellent leadership skills, with the ability to influence and inspire team performance and achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to clearly and consistently communicate key priorities
- The desire to develop creative solutions
- Tertiary qualifications in a business or commercial discipline.
What you’ll get from us
We’re committed to looking after you, with some of the best benefits and conditions in the industry – including (but not limited to):
- Heavily discounted air travel for you and your loved ones (including $1000 worth of travel credits per year)
- Manage a team who are passionate and highly capable
- Join a talented senior leadership team
- Flexible working arrangements (including work hours and work from home)
- Discounts on travel insurance, car hire, accommodation and experiences worldwide
- Discounted Virgin Australia Lounge membership
- Hospitality, retail, technology, beauty services and wellness discounts
We’re all individuals. We love that. That’s why we encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those from diverse cultural backgrounds, our friends in the LGBTQI+ community, and anyone else who wants to join our family.
The safety and security of our people, guests and operations come first. Always. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive ‘Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy’. In a nutshell, to work with us, you’ll need to comply with our (and the airport’s) rules and regulations. And be fully vaxxed.
Ready to apply?
We’re ready to hear from you. Apply now.