Here at The Virgin Australia Group, we have the best talent, doing the best work of their lives with meaning. Our continuous focus on the guest experience is what unites us and sets us apart in our vision to be the world’s most rewarding travel experience.
Our Group of airlines include Virgin Australia Airlines, Domestic and International, Virgin Australia Regional Airlines and Tigerair Australia.
Our diverse fleet consists of narrow and wide-body aircraft to provide you with the opportunity to increase your skills and grow your career. You will also have the opportunity to experience a range of different flying into interesting and challenging destinations, such as the regional, short haul international and long haul international route network.
Our fleet comprises of the following aircraft types:
- Boeing 737
- Airbus A320
- Airbus A330
- Boeing 777
The Virgin Australia Group provides entry opportunities to Boeing 737 First Officer, Boeing 777 Second Officer, and ATR 72 First Officer positions in Australia and New Zealand across our airlines Virgin Australia, VARA and Tigerair Australia.
Our minimum requirements are listed below. We strongly encourage those who meet minimum requirements to express their interest in The Virgin Australia Group by submitting an application.
Our current bases include:
B737 - Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Auckland, Christchurch.
B777 – Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne.
ATR 72 – Sydney, Canberra.
F100 – Perth.
A320 - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth
A330 - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
The Virgin Australia Group understand that, depending an individual’s experience level and personal circumstance, applicants will only be willing or able to accept certain aircraft types and/or bases. Those details will be sourced in the application and during the recruitment process. Besides considering an applicant’s personal preferences, positions will be allocated based on experience and performance during the recruitment process.
The minimum flying hours experience and qualifications requirements differ across our fleets. Please visit our website for a breakdown minimum flying hours experience and qualifications.
You will also hold an:
- Australian ATPL or Australian CPL plus all Australian ATPL Subjects*
- Australian Command Multi-Engine Aeroplane Instrument Rating
- Australian Class 1 Medical
- English Language Proficiency Level 6
- Australian or New Zealand Passport or unrestricted right to work in Australia or New Zealand, as applicable
* Those with a NZ ATPL licence must have applied for the CASA equivalent licence, through the Trans-Tasman Mutual Agreement (TTMA) process, prior to the commencement of the recruitment assessment process. Evidence of an application will need to be presented at the assessment interview. Please note that a NZ CPL with all ATPL Subjects is not an acceptable licence for the TTMA process.
In addition to joining an airline with an exemplary safety record and consistently good OTP results, you can expect access to numerous benefits, some of which are listed below:
- Loss of licence insurance
- Annual salary increase as negotiated in relevant EBA’s/CEA’s.
- Exceptional staff travel program that can be enjoyed by your family and friends
- The ability to bid for rosters that suit your lifestyle
- Career progression opportunities including first rate training throughout your flying career with Virgin Australia, designed to equip you with the skills to consistently develop and progress toward command opportunities. There are future opportunities with the Training department, Technical Pilot roles and also management opportunities.
- Fleet and operational variety
- Engagement surveys that enable management to listen to the needs of team members and take action on the issues that matter
- Employee Assistance Program - including 24 hour support for our team members and their families
- Paid parental and adoption leave
- The opportunity to tap into the diverse offerings of the Virgin group globally
Virgin Australia is currently accepting expressions of interest for Australian based B777 Second Officers, ATR72 First Officers, F100 First Officers, B737 First Officers and New Zealand based B737 First Officers positions.
We are looking for enthusiastic and professional flight crew who consistently display behaviours that support the Virgin Australia brand and values.
Online application process
All applicants will submit an application via the careers page. You will be asked to establish a profile which you can update when your contact, employment and flight hour details change. Those who have previously applied for positions will need to re-submit an application unless you have specifically been informed not to re-apply.
Stage 1 - Application Review
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be prioritised to progress to the next stage.
Stage 2 – Flipbase Video
You will receive an email providing you with details on how to create a short video to answer a couple of questions that will be provided to you.
Stage 3 - Assessment Days
The Recruitment process will involve two consecutive days at Aviation Australia in Brisbane. The recruitment activities you will be involved in will include a Behavioural Interview, Group Activity, aptitude testing and a Simulator Assessment.
Suggestions for success
Be yourself. Be prepared – do your research. Be punctual.
Stage 4 – Reference Checks
Upon successful progression from the assessment day you will receive an email requesting references. Once these are completed you will progress to our active Hold File.
How do I know the status of my application?
We will acknowledge the initial receipt of your application.
We plan to communicate advice of the status of your application as soon as possible. The advice will indicate that:
- you have been progressed to the next stage,
- you are not competitive to be progressed at this time but will remain active, or
- your application has been unsuccessful.
Where are assessment days run?
Assessment days are run at Aviation Australia in Brisbane and will require you to attend for two days.
What happens if I am successful from an assessment day?
Pending satisfactory completion of reference checks and depending on Virgin Australia Group’s requirements at the time, you may be allocated directly to an endorsement course or placed on a Hold File for future opportunities.