Hello. We’re Virgin Australia. We’re the airline that’s always done things a little different. Our way. The Virgin way. We’re on a mission to make flying better than ‘nice’. And to do that, it takes a team of talented people who are passionate about customer experience, doing the right thing always, with a focus on safety – in the air, on the ground and in our workplaces. A team who values real diversity and inclusion, in a big brand with big ambitions.
What you’ll be doing
The objective of the Group Accountant role is to provide accurate and timely accounting support and services for the Virgin Australia Group ensuring that transactions are recognised in accordance with Group Accounting policies.
- Calculate charges and post journals/accruals
- Review the monthly management accounts identifying errors, omissions and duplications to ensure the integrity of the management accounts
- Complete various reports based on financial information
- Complete month-end in accordance with the month-end timetable so there are no delays to the consolidation process are caused
- Ensure accounting practices have been correctly adopted
- Overall support for the division during month-end, including answering questions relating to the financial results
- Balance Sheet Reconciliations
- Reconciliations must be completed monthly, have supporting documentation and variances need to be cleared promptly
- Compile audit work files with supporting documentation for external auditors
- Liaise with external auditors to answer queries
- Ensure all recommendations from Internal Audit are actioned in a timely manner
- Ensure all tasks included in the role are documented in procedures and remain up-to- date
- Continually look for and implement improvements and efficiencies in the month-end process
- Identify where cost savings can be made / value added to the department and company as a whole
- Foster a positive working atmosphere
You’ll be great in this role if you…
- Completed Accounting related degree
- Demonstrable systems abilities and a high level of computer literacy, including advanced Excel spread sheet skills
- 3-5 years commercial/chartered experience
- Experience in month-end accounting procedures up to production of trial balance, P&L and balance sheet
- Organisational and time management skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to work to strict deadlines with adaptability to changing priorities
- An eye for detail and ability to efficiently analyse financial information
- Interpersonal skills which enable both independent and team work with both on-site and external teams
This is a hybrid role with flexible hours (2 days work from home per week). This is a 12 month full-time contract, with potential pathways to a permanent role.
We’re committed to looking after you, with some of the best benefits and conditions in the industry – including (but not limited to):
- Discounted flights for you and your loved ones (including $1000 worth of travel credits per year)
- A flexible, hybrid work style. Work from home or the office, adapt your location to suit your style and needs
- One of Brisbane’s most admired head office locations, with South Bank train station, a supermarket, pharmacy, and lunch options downstairs plus a 5-minute walk to the Busway, a rooftop restaurant and onsite gym (with a low membership fee) and South Bank Parklands just across the road
- Discounts on travel insurance, lounge membership, car hire, accommodation, and experiences worldwide
- Cheaper hospitality, retail, technology, beauty and wellness services
- Free counselling and access to a wellbeing app to support your physical, mental, social and financial health
- ‘Dress for Your Day’ – enjoy the freedom to wear whatever makes you feel great for the type of work you do and the day you have ahead of you.
When everyone is included, everyone wins
We’re all individuals. And we love that. That’s why we encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those from diverse cultural backgrounds, our friends in the LGBTQI+ community, and anyone else who wants to join our family.
Ready to apply?
We’re ready to hear from you. Apply now.