Head of Commercial Acceleration Strategy
Hello. We’re Virgin Australia. And we’re back (in a big way).
We’re the airline that’s always done things a little different. Our way. The Virgin way. For us, flying is so much more than simply taking off and landing (although we understand that is quite important). It’s about going the extra mile, in the air and on the ground, to create authentic experiences that put our guests firmly at the heart of everything we do.
We are building a new team and we want you to lead these talented individuals. The Commercial Performance and Insights team reports to the Chief Commercial Officer, and work alongside other Commercial Divisions including Marketing, Revenue Management, Direct Distribution, SME and Sales. This is an incredible opportunity for a consulting manager looking to take the next step in their career and utilise the skills and strategic capabilities acquired across their career. The objective of the Head of Commercial Acceleration Strategy is to provide leadership in developing the broader commercial strategy and the transformation roadmap to achieve our aspiration, and proactively identify opportunities to accelerate value capture. You will act as a thought partner to the GM of Commercial Performance and Insights on prioritisation of effort across all commercial analyst.
This role will lead a team consisting of a Commercial Acceleration Manager and Analysts to deep-dive into these opportunities (i.e. special projects), through a 4-6 weeks sprint. These special projects will be in collaboration with relevant commercial functions and other teams within the Virgin Australia Group. For example, working closely with relevant Data Science teams to augment commercial analytics to drive commercial outcomes.
In addition, this role will play a critical role in stakeholder management and preparation of outputs to communicate recommendations, analysis and value capture.
Key responsibilities -
- Lead the development of commercial strategy & transformation roadmap for the Commercial division to achieve the overarching revenue ambition, and how it translates across various commercial functions (channels, customer segments, marketing, revenue management) to achieve revenue ambition
- Lead special projects and deep-dives for value acceleration capture
- Proactively identify opportunities across commercial functions, and lead cross-functional coordination where required
- Actively lead and support preparation for ELT/Board updates
- Proactively work with internal stakeholders across the Commercial functions and across VA Group
- Work closely with Finance, Network and Revenue Management team (e.g. revenue forecasting)
- Proactively identify and scope commercial opportunities and lead the sizing of commercial benefits and investments, in collaboration with Commercial Leadership Team
- Identify and manage risks and issues within project.
- Proactively interrogate and analyse data to identify trends, gaps and opportunities, and understand drivers of commercial performance using Microsoft Excel, PowerBI and other analytical tools
The ideal candidate:
You will have 5-7 years' experience in top-tier management/strategy consulting and ready to take the next step in your career from a Project Leader/Manager/Senior Manger to the Head of Commercial Acceleration Strategy. You have a passion for commercial performance improvement strategy and proven implementation experience. You will have a proven ability to successfully lead teams and promote a data led culture, to allow effective decision making across the commercial division. Furthermore, you have a desire to proactively seek opportunities for elite business performance and take the initiative to explore in detail. You have a high level attention to detail, with respect to interrogation of data quality and the generation of commercial insights. You are comfortable working in a face paced environment and enjoy the variety in working across different divisions.
Experience and skills –
- Relevant Bachelor degree (MBA or relevant post grad degree would be desirable)
- 5-7 years' experience in strategy/management consulting
- Ability to synthesis insights into a management level narrative to drive decision making
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Cross-industry benchmarking and application in sales and distribution performance
- Strong excel skills (experience using BI tools would be desirable)
- Having aviation/travel knowledge is not essential, however highly desirable
What you’ll get from us
We’re committed to looking after you, with some of the best benefits and conditions in the industry – including (but not limited to):
- Heavily discounted air travel for you and your loved ones (including $1000 worth of travel credits per year)
- Flexible working arrangements (including work hours and work from home)
- Discounts on travel insurance, car hire, accommodation and experiences worldwide
- Discounted Virgin Australia Lounge membership
- Hospitality, retail, technology, beauty services and wellness discounts
- Wellness support, including the betterme digital wellbeing platform
- A comprehensive Employee Assistance Program, which offers confidential coaching and support from qualified professionals for all aspects of life – physical, mental, social and financial
- Dress for Your Day – enjoy the freedom to wear whatever is appropriate for the type of work you do and the day you have ahead of you
We’re all individuals. We love that. That’s why we encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, those from diverse cultural backgrounds, our friends in the LGBTQI+ community, and anyone else who wants to join our family.
The safety and security of our people, guests and operations come first. Always. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive ‘Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy’. In a nutshell, to work with us, you’ll need to comply with our (and the airport’s) rules and regulations. And be fully vaxxed.
Ready to apply?
We’re ready to hear from you. Apply now.