Virgin Australia is currently accepting expressions of interest for B737 First Officers who will be based in New Zealand.
Virgin Australia’s minimum requirements are listed below. We strongly encourage those who meet minimum requirements to express their interest in Virgin Australia by submitting an application.
Our current base we are recruiting for:
• B737 - Auckland.
Virgin Australia understand that, depending an individual’s experience level and personal circumstance, applicants will only be able to accept certain aircraft types and/or bases. Those details will be sourced in the application and during the recruitment process. Besides considering an applicant’s personal preferences, positions will be allocated based on experience and performance during the recruitment process.
The minimum flying hours experience and qualifications requirements are outlined below:
Direct Entry First Officers Jet
• A current Australian ATPL or CPL with passes in all ATPL theory subjects
• Minimum total flight time of 500 hours of which:
• 300 hours in Command of a powered fixed wing aeroplane (excluding ICUS)
• 200 hours in Command of multi engine aircraft (excluding ICUS), or,
• Australian Multi Engine Aeroplane Instrument Rating
• English language Level 6 on licence
• A current Australian Class 1 Medical Certificate
* Those with a NZ licence must have applied for the CASA equivalent licence, through the Trans-Tasman Mutual Agreement process, prior to the commencement of the recruitment assessment process. Evidence of an application will need to be presented at the assessment interview.
In addition to joining an airline with an exemplary safety record and consistently good OTP results, you can expect the follow benefits from joining Virgin Australia:
• 5 weeks annual leave
• Loss of licence insurance
• Annual salary increase
• Exceptional staff travel program that can be enjoyed by your family and friends
• The ability to bid for rosters that suit your lifestyle
• Career progression opportunities including first rate training throughout your flying career with Virgin Australia, designed to equip you with the skills to consistently develop and progress toward command opportunities. There are future opportunities with the Training department, Technical Pilot roles and also management opportunities.
• Fleet and operational variety
• Engagement surveys that enable management to listen to the needs of team members and take action on the issues that matter
• Employee Assistance Program - including 24 hour support for our team members and their families
• Study assistance - we offer support for study linked to development
We are looking for enthusiastic and professional flight crew who consistently display behaviours that support the Virgin Australia brand and values.
Online application process
All applicants will submit an application via the careers page. You will be asked to establish a profile which you can update when your contact, employment and flight hour details change. Those who have previously applied for positions will need to re-submit an application unless you have specifically been informed not to re-apply.
Stage 1 - Application Review
Applications will be reviewed and candidates will be prioritised to progress to the next stage.
Stage 2 - Online cognitive testing
You will receive an email with all the instructions needed to complete the testing and the ideal timeframes to complete this testing to be considered for upcoming assessment days. Please note that during assessment days we will occasionally conduct ‘validation’ cognitive testing.
Stage 3 - Assessment Days
The Recruitment process will involve two consecutive days of assessments which will include Behavioural Interview, Group Activity and a Simulator Assessment.
Suggestions for success
Be yourself. Be prepared. Be punctual.
Where are the assessments held?
All interviews will be conducted in either Brisbane or New Zealand, with location confirmed once your application is progressed.
Where is the type rating course held?
The type rating courses for Boeing aircraft are held at the Boeing Flight Services Centre, Eagle Farm, Brisbane or Miami.
How do I know the status of my application?
We will acknowledge the initial receipt of your application.
We plan to communicate advice of the status of your application within two months initially, reducing to one month after we deal with the large numbers received after the invitation for applications initially open. The advice will indicate that:
• you have been progressed to the next stage,
• you are not competitive to be progressed at this time but will remain active, or
• your application will not be progressed further.
Given the varied number of entry points into Virgin Australia pilot group, and the changing nature of our pilot resource requirements, it is not possible to provide timeframes as to how long you may stay at certain stages of the recruitment process.
Once candidates have progressed through the Assessment Days stage the final outcome will be advised within 2-3 weeks.
What happens if I am successful in the recruitment process?
Pending satisfactory completion of Referee Checks, and depending on Virgin Australia’s requirements at the time, you may be allocated directly to an endorsement course or placed on a Hold File for future opportunities.
When should I update my application?
You should update your application when significant changes such as licence type, employment, and residential address occur. At the very least you should update every six months to ensure we have your latest flying experience details.
How long is the bond period?
Generally you will bonded on type for between 30 to 36 months. Specific information can be obtained from the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements.