We know what sets Virgin Australia apart is our people and the drive that we all have to make a real difference for our guests. Our culture encourages innovation whilst ensuring that our guests remain the focus of our business. We deliver a highly professional and polished service, whilst ensuring that we are safe in everything that we do. We want dedicated people who are passionate about customer service and ready for the challenge of working in a challenging environment.
The reality is that being a team member of the Virgin Australia group of airlines involves hard work but is very rewarding. Our people are at the cornerstone of the business and their award-winning service to every guest every day is putting the magic back into flying.
About the role:
Virgin Australia’s dynamic Airline Operations devops team are currently recruiting for a Developer specialising primarily in Java/JEE on AWS based services. Developers with some full-stack experience are particularly sought after.
The team is Virgin Australia’s leading-edge devops team driving significant innovation into Virgin Australia’s technology landscape. The team delivers both front end and back end components as applicable to the particular solution requirements, and needs team members who:
- Provide first-rate architectural guidance and consultation inside and outside the team.
- Possess excellent technical skills which are constantly being enhanced.
- Deliver leading-edge design and implementation of systems relating to Airline Operations.
- Monitor, operate, and enhance solutions delivered to a high degree of reliability.
- Collaborate closely with other Airline Operations devops team members and the business operation departments which it serves.
Your software applications will support and enhance all aspects of Airline Operations: the parts of the airline which are responsible for keeping our aircraft operating and flying safely and on-time. These are an operationally complex set of mission critical functions which are fundamental to our success as an airline, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
You will develop and maintain software solutions as required by the business including:
- Accountability for solutions outcome, code quality, and end to end delivery cycle.
- Contributing to technical solution design, estimation, and delivery for business requirements.
- Process improvement and implementation of development processes, including the improvement of automated practices in the team.
- Providing oversight and governance of the development initiatives.
- Ongoing monitoring, maintenance, and support for the components delivered by the devops team.
Please note that this role, as a devops role, requires rostered out-of-hours on-call support.
Who you are:
A strong communicator. You have the ability to communicate complex thoughts and ideas clearly.
An analytical thinker. You are able to think analytically and logically to solve business problems.
Creative. You can solve problems by seeing the picture from multiple angles and can provide an innovative solution to a business need using an approach no-one else has thought of.
Detail orientated. Airline operations is complex problem space with multiple variables, nearly all of which are important to operational efficiency and some of which are sometimes critical to flight safety. You can maintain your attention to detail of the complex interlocking variables.
Innovative. You are open to new ideas. You keep your knowledge up to date with new techniques and technologies and are keen to apply what you learn to your software development practice.
A people person. You collaborate and engage with the internal and external stakeholders, understanding relationships are key.
What you’ll need:
- Significant background experience (5+ years) in a software development related role including experience using a variety of software development methodologies and languages. We are looking for a developer with solid Java experience with proficiency in some combination of the following additional technology stacks and techniques:
- 12-factor application development
- JEE / JMS / JTA / JPA
- API development
- CI/CD, automated testing
- Any other languages e.g. Python, Go, Node, Ruby, Kotlin, Scala, etc.
- Experience reviewing and implementing ongoing process improvement activities
- Detailed understanding of software architecture and design patterns and principles
What you’ll get from us:
Other than the opportunity to work for an award-winning airline, you will also be part of our journey as we drive our adoption of devops, cloud infrastructure, and other emerging technologies. You will learn the technical minutiae of how an airline achieves the logistics involved in flying millions of people around Australia and internationally safely and efficiently and contribute a considerable amount to the airline’s success in achieving this.
And as a Virgin Australia team member, you will receive fantastic employee benefits including discounted flights for you, your family and friends (across domestic and international) and global accommodation options.
We are looking for candidates that have proven software development experience teamed with a passion for technology and eagerness to learn new technologies. If this sounds like you, then please apply below.